July 2, 2018
Light Beams in Darkness
Bible Study Received Threats!
In June, in another state, a Capitol Commission State Minister was threatened after he advertised a Bible Study scheduled at that state’s Legislative Building. Security was notified of the threats and the possibility of violent protests. The Bible Study continued as scheduled with appropriate safety measures in place. God’s Word was taught and discussed.
Yes, this happened in America! Yes, this happened against the teaching of God’s Word. Sadly, it is not an isolated event. In the Capitol corners of our country where the polarized Right and Left have forgotten the UP and the Down, God and reliance upon God are far from minds and lives.
Just being angry about what is happening is not enough. Our Lord calls us to pray it through, to stand up under the pressure of the day, and to advance forward as He guides our steps.
- 2nd Wednesday Prayer for our State and Nation -- July 11, August 8th, September 12th, October 10th, November 14th, & December 12th - Participate in prayer! Join our second Wednesday of each month, 11 am prayer time. We meet on the second floor of the Legislative Building.
- Election Eve Prayer Walk -- Plan now to attend and encourage others around you to come and pray at the 2018 Election Eve Prayer Walk on November 5th.
You are so vitally important to Capitol Commission. You help Capitol Commission reach into some of the darkest places in America. Our commitment to place State Ministers (missionary-pastors) in the majority of Capitols in America is front-line light into darkness work! Capitol Commission is there shining God’s LIGHT into this dark political world!
When I think of you and your great impact on this ministry, I am reminded of Ephesians 5:8 “For you were formerly darkness, but now you are light in the Lord, walk as children of light!”
Your actions, as one called out of darkness into light, are making a difference! Your help, your “walk as a child of light,” has allowed Capitol Commission to bring light into the political darkness and, in that state mentioned above, God has brought a Legislator, a Lobbyist and one protester to Christ over the last two months! Discipleship is happening and it is going on one-on-one. Think of the impact of a leader with a changed life.
The NC Legislative Session has come to a close. This short session was a frenzy of activity with much tension and protest. Each legislator seemed to be double and triple booked both daytime and evening. Despite the wearying schedule, the Lord opened many doors to minister.
- Every legislator received a clear written explanation of the gospel 3 times.
- Personal conversations with legislators sharing the gospel one-on-one happened numerous times.
- 3 Legislator events were held during this session in which the gospel was presented in preaching.
- Prayer with legislators one-on-one -- more than 100 opportunities.
- 2250 two-page, expositional Bible studies of Ephesians were handed out to legislators' offices.
- 150 books given away through Books and Bagels outreach.
- 3 Legislator meals were offered in our home.
Here is a complete report of the NC Session 2018 NC CAPITOL COMMISSION SESSION MINISTRY.
You can read the message preached at our Legislative Prayer Breakfast and handed out this last week of session here: God is a jealous God, Why is that good?
Today, a few days before Independence Day, as our Christian foundation of America is being assaulted, let us be reminded that atop our first President's monument in Washington, D.C. is an "aluminum capstone placed there when the completion of the Washington Monument was commemorated, December 6, 1884. The East side of that capstone carries this Latin inscription, Laus Deo, Praise be to our God! Other carved tribute blocks in the Washington Monument include: 'Holiness to the Lord'; 'Search the Scriptures'; 'The memory of the just is blessed'; 'May Heaven to this union continue its beneficence'; 'In God we Trust'; and 'Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.'" [Gingrich, Re-discovering God in America, Reflections on the Role of Faith in Our Nation's History and Future, (New York: Center Street, 2016)15 ]
The enemy is at work to hinder God’s word being taught and interacted with in our country. Amidst our polarized Left and Right culture stands Capitol Commission, focusing on and reminding our politicians of our God. Our trusted presence amidst our legislators allows the placement of Bible studies in every office, the personal one-on-one sharing of the good news, and the consistent pointing of thankfulness and accountability upward.The patriotic hymn, America, reminds us that God shed His grace on America. Be reminded on this Independence Day that He still sheds that grace! Let us call upon our Lord in earnest to turn our nation back in earnest to the God of its' roots!
As the NC ministry finishes the first half of 2018, our heartfelt thanks go out to you! Thank you for your faithful support!
Please pray as personal opportunities and much work continues.
- Staff Men and Women's Bible Studies
- Mentoring of 2019 State Minister Bert Jones - I am excited about the momentum of Capitol Commission's ministry in NC
- Personal followup to many legislators as the result of discussions and conversations about Christ
- Speaking in churches, pastor groups and meeting with personal community leaders about Capitol Commission's ministry
- Birthday Card ministry
- Connecting with churches of our legislators and encouraging their prayer support and involvement in both monthly and election eve prayer
We give glory to God for you!
Donate to Capitol Commission online or mail to:
P.O. Box 63118Charlotte, NC 28263-3118