December 16, 2010
I feel honored to be able to help those in our State Capitol community to know and follow God’s will for their lives and their work. What impact does this have? Here are some examples from this year:
- Nineteen State Senate and Assembly members from both parties attended the Legislators’ Bible Study in 2010, studying verse by verse through the NT book of Colossians.
- Many legislators, including a number who never attended the Bible Study, met with me privately for biblical counsel and prayer for various personal challenges, including faith, family issues, alcoholism, temptation, marriage difficulties, career direction, and discouragement.
- A legislator came to the new realization that the main reason for being in office is to serve God.
- A Senator lamented that he does not know how he can follow what he has learned at our Bible Study and also please his district. Others joined in an emotional discussion on this topic.
- One believing Assembly member asked another for forgiveness for breaking his promise to him in order to gain a political advantage. (This is a first in my two years at the Capitol.)
- A staff member for a Democratic Assembly member trusted in Christ at our Staff and Lobbyists Bible Study. She then encouraged her boss to attend the Legislators’ Study, which he soon did.
- A senior-level lobbyist who came to faith in Christ at the Bible Study refused to advocate for immoral causes, a decision that required her to switch lobbying firms.
- A Sergeant-at-Arms (similar to Secret Service agents for the legislature) who has never read the Bible met with me for over an hour to ask questions about God. Over the next few months, a number of other Sergeants who heard about this asked to also meet for similar discussions.
Thank you for your prayers and generous partnership that are enabling stories like this to continue. I anticipate even greater things next year, as my relationships in the Capitol grow.
As this year comes to a close, I am trusting God for $25,000 more in funding to cover all expenses and enable us to hit the ground running in the new year. Thank you in advance if you are able to send in a special year-end gift of any size to help in this way. Contributions may be made securely by credit card on our newly designed website www.capitolcom.org, or by mailing them to Capitol Commission, PO Box 63118, Charlotte, NC 28263-3118 (please indicate if your gift is for ministry in California).
Wishing You a Merry Christmas and an Inspiring New Year,
P.S. Here are a few recent photos. There first is one I took at last week's Senate Swear-in Day. I was honored to be invited onto the Senate floor for the ceremony where I could congratulate the new senators and their families. The second is a photo of me speaking recently to a group at a church in Stockton. The last photo is one I snapped at dusk as I was getting into my car on the top level of the parking garage across the street from the Capitol.