August 23, 2011
People sometimes ask how I spend my time. It's a fair question, because my work as a pastor/missionary to the California State Capitol is certainly unique. Here are some of the things that have kept me busy during this past week.
- Prayer for our State Leaders.
- Studied Matthew Chapters 9-10 in-depth (researching ten commentaries).
- Taught three Bible Studies on Matthew: One inside the Capitol for Legislators, another inside the Capitol for Staff/Lobbyists/State-Leaders, and a third in my home attended by various area leaders.
- Wrote a Bible Study Handout and hand-delivered printed copies to all 120 Legislators offices plus the Governor's and Lt. Governor's offices.
- Provided personal biblical counsel to various Legislators and Staff.
- Attended three evening Capitol events to interact with Legislators, Staff, and Lobbyists.
- Prepared to guest teach at a Sacramento-area church this Sunday.
- Tackled a multitude of administrative tasks.
I am always trying to improve in how I use the precious time the Lord has given me. Ephesians 5:15-16 urges us to "be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time." I admire how Dawson Trotman, the founder of the Navigators, approached this: "Never do anything that someone else can and will do when there is so much of importance to be done which others cannot or will not do." For me, this means that I need to focus my attention on my family (as everyone I know whose kids are fully grown reminds me), and on preaching, teaching, and disciple-making, especially for leaders.
Too often, I find that government officials and other leaders who profess to be Christians find little time to learn from the Lord, fellowship with other believers, or bond with their spouse or children. Their busy work schedules crowd out that which is most important. It's a dangerous trap that we must all watch out for.
How about you? How is God directing you in maximizing the time He has given you? I would love to hear your thoughts.
|Your Missionary to the State Capitol,|
California State Director
P.S. A special thanks to those of you who have been partnering with us financially in reaching out to California's political leaders. We are now at about 60% of our monthly goal, and growing!