June 19, 2013
There have been some encouraging events at the California State Capitol since my last update:
- The National Day of Prayer included a sizeable gathering on the South Steps of the Capitol. Many pastors and ministry leaders participated, and I was honored to lead in prayer for our government leaders. (I am in the picture below, fourth from the left in the front row.)
- The 52nd annual California State Prayer Breakfast was inspiring. This year's speaker, Pat Gelsinger, is the CEO of a major Silicon Valley software company. He spoke to a crowd that included legislators and other leaders about how he juggles his many responsiblities and makes a priority of his faith and family, even while skillfully leading a $30-billion dollar corporation. It was a critically important message for elected officials who often neglect making time for God and family due the never-ending demands and distractions of their office.
Here is a 5-minute video clip of Senator Jean Fuller sharing at the Prayer Breakfast about why ministry to elected officials is so important to her and her colleagues.
- A Bay-area legislator and I hosted a Legislators of Faith Dinner at a downtown Sacramento restaurant. This was a breakthrough event as Senators and Assemblymembers from both parties gathered over dinner to share with one another about how they got their start in politics and, more importantly, how they got their start with the Lord, which some have been reluctant to discuss openly. We are hoping to do something similar and include more legislators in August.
In addition, I have been very busy with the usual:
- Four weekly Bible Studies attended by Legislators, Contitutional Officers, Staff, Lobbyists, and other State Leaders.
- Personal outreach, discipleship, or prayer, with leaders at every level. I have met privately with over 1/3 of the Legislators this year.
- Welcoming pastors and others to the Capitol.
- Attending downtown events to make connections with legislators and lobbyists.
- Speaking to various churches and ministry groups.
We are rejoicing in what the Lord is doing!
There is still so much more we can do to bring the light to California's leaders. I hope you will join me in praying for additional financial partners, skilled helpers, and interested churches. Please contact me if you would like to be involved in any of these ways.
Your Missionary to California's Leaders,
PS. My 25th Wedding Anniversary was on June 18!! I am so thankful for my amazing and beautiful wife, Valerie, who is also my best friend since we were teenagers. We're looking forward to a trip to the coast soon to celebrate.