October 25, 2013
It's time for recess! The California State Legislature is on recess until January 6. Unfortunately it's not quite the same as the recess we enjoyed in elementary school. Legislators are staying occupied now with events, travel, meetings, and preparation for next year until the session resumes on January 6.
As a result, my schedule will be quite a bit different over the next two months, as I ...
- Prepare and study to resume our weekly Legislators & Constitutional Officers Bible Studies and Staff & Lobbyists Bible Studies on January 7-8. I am looking forward to teaching in-depth through a book of the Bible next year, possibly either Paul's Letter to the Philippians or the Gospel of Luke.
- Continue to teach a local Bible Study group that some from the Capitol attend.
- Speak to churches and other groups.
- Stay in contact with government leaders. One who is preparing to run for a major office just asked me to meet with him weekly to provide pastoral accountability.
- Travel to Colorado for the annual gathering for all of us who serve with Capitol Commission in 22 state capitols across the U.S.. I am happy that my wife, Valerie, will be able to join me for part of it.
- Speak at the first “Global Conference of Parliament and Faith” in Washington, D.C. in November. This is a gathering for pastors who are serving in or interested in serving in ministry to government leaders around the world. Participants are expected from many countries, including Brazil, Uraguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Spain, Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Korea, Australia, Switzerland, Germany, Puerto Rico, Argentina, and the United States!
- Visit personally with members of U.S. Congress in Washington, D.C..
- Continue writing a book on discipleship.
- Plan a Capitol Commission Welcomes Legislators Back to the Capitol event for January.
- Complete administrative tasks for the year.
- Identify a new volunteer administrative helper for next year. (Just let me know if you are interested!)
- Pray for funding. Our work relies entirely on donations designated for California, which are low. I am especially praying for special gifts to cover the $2,700 travel expenses for the upcoming CO And DC trips. Please click here if you would like to give either electronically or by mail to partner with us in bringing the Gospel to our leaders.
Blessings to you as you follow our great Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us and now lives to intercede for us (Hebrews 7:25)!
Your Missionary to California's Leaders,