November 5, 2012
Perhaps you have already voted early (as I did) or you will vote tomorrow on Election Day. In addition to voting, perhaps you are also campaigning for office or you are a political volunteer, or maybe your energy will be expended in general complaints with regard to the candidates and the political process.
What else can you do? You can pray! Some time throughout this pre-Election Day, I would be delighted to know that you are praying peacefully for our government leaders in accordance with God’s instruction in First Timothy 2:1-4.
First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quite life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Below are some specific requests to ask of God on this pre-Election Day.
- Pray that God would demonstrate His grace and mercy to the political leaders who do not know Him (1 Tim 2:1-4);
- Pray that God would bless the proclamation and teaching of His Word in our Statehouses and in our nation’s Capitol;
- Pray that God would be gracious and merciful to bless our nation with leaders that are better than we desire;
- Pray that God would strengthen our political leaders to display honor, honesty, and righteousness in their lives and decisions; and,
- Pray that God would motivate Americans to fulfill the responsibilities of citizenship, yet also to recognize that government cannot save us because only God can transform the sinfulness of the human heart, which alone brings hope, life-change, and truth to those who constitute our Capitol communities.