June 10, 2019
Thank you for your support of our work in the Kansas Capitol! We are blessed to be accountable to God and our team of supporters. Here we list some of the ways we minister to about 400 Kansas leaders and their families.
This year the capitol atmosphere seems somewhat heavy! We are confronting this apparent spiritual force with more focus on prayer. Here are some of the ways we have marshaled forces in offensive and defensive strategies. Let me know if you would profit by joining one or more of these teams.
- Each Statewide elected officer is assigned to a prayer partner who intercedes for them (Ephesians 6:18). 200 prayer warriors involved!
- An embedded prayer caucus of legislators often breaks for prayer before or after a decisive action (Philippians 4:6). Senators Molly Baumgardner, Richard Hilderbrand, and Representatives Susan Humphries, Eric Smith are team leaders.
- Members of our ground team come in the capitol during legislative meetings, interceding from the back of conference rooms. Dozens join in (Mark 9:29).
- Our website pray1tim2.org invites subscribers to receive a daily reminder to pray for six featured leaders. Hundreds have signed up!
- Our 31-day paper prayer calendar provides an organized list of up to six government leaders for each day (1Tim2:1-6). Some prayer groups even send encouraging notes to the leaders!
- During session, our 7 am Thursday Prayer breakfast features a devotional message from a visiting pastor and opportunity to pray for one another (Isaiah13:13).
- I also teach a 7AM Wednesday Bible study during session; on Acts this year. You could visit the study or Prayer breakfast as my guest (Proverbs 16:7).
- Capitol SWAT is a 300 member Spiritual Warfare Attack Team. Members pause, if possible, upon receipt of a text notice to pray for the Capitol issue or person impacted. Some share with their own teams (Isaiah 54:17).
- Our international SWAT of 100 members is linked to the world stage through Sam Brownback, International Ambassador for Religious Freedom. Some SWAT members text to their own networks, 1000 warriors may respond to a call for prayer (Matt 21:21).
Does God answer prayer? The Saturday, May 4 House session continued a frenzied process working the state budget. It was necessary for the House to pass this before the Senate could act. I opened the session with a prayer that included requests for God to grant extra wisdom and discernment; ending the group prayer with our request for travel mercies as we all depart for home at the end of the day! All were surprised as the budget passed the House just before midnight, and the Senate adjourned shortly after; 13 days ahead of the legislature deadline! Praise God (John 8:50)!
The house and senate met again May 29 for Sine Die (a 2-hour ceremonial closing). This was a very intense gathering as four budget items vetoed by the Governor were overridden. The house was six votes short on their attempt to override a veto of the tax-windfall return bill. Our prayer team was present for this high drama!
I always thank God for your encouragement, praying His favor continues to be returned upon you (1Tim 4:4-6).
Dave DePue, Pastor
Capitol Commission Kansas
Capitol Prayer Team gathering in Meditation Room